Thursday, May 24, 2012

Private Selection(R) Ice Cream

As mentioned in the previous blog post, I am involved in a new campaign for bzzagent in which I received coupons for free beef,free pie, and 1.50 off ice cream as well as a bag of chips. I previously reviewed the chips and beef. Well, we just couldn't wait any longer, so we tried the ice cream! My excuse is that I am 8 months pregnant and LOVE all things food! :-) I ate the Black Raspberry Dark Chocolate Chunk. WOW! Usually I put a LOT of toppings on my ice cream!! However, this ice cream definitely did not require any additions. The chocolate chunks in it were so good and really chocolatey! So many times in ice cream the chocolate doesn't taste like real chocolate, but not in this one! It tasted like very rich and delicious chocolate! I had to make myself put it back in the freezer or I would have eaten the entire pint by myself in one sitting! Steve tried the Cookies n Cream. He liked it, but said that it wasn't quite as good as a brand like Breyer's Blast. He said it was pretty comparable to it though. The one thing that is a little odd about this ice cream is the price. The pints were on sale for 1.79 each (which is the size that the coupons were good for), but the half gallons were on sale for 4.99. 4.99 for a half gallon of ice cream seemed pretty high for a store brand! When Breyers goes on sale, it is usually around 3.50 for a half gallon, but when the regular Kroger deluxe brand goes on sale you can get it for around 2.50. Again, just like with everything else, I buy according to price so I pick the flavor I want and buy whatever brand is the cheapest and still has the flavor that I want. The taste of this ice cream is definitely superior to some other brands, but not so much that it would cause me to spend that much money. I don't often buy pints either because most brands are cheaper to buy in larger amounts. I will admit though, that since being pregnant, I have bought more ice cream than I usually do. Once I even bought a small container of Ben and Jerry's just because I had a craving! :-) So, I won't say that I will NEVER buy one again, but the chances aren't very good!

1 comment:

  1. We never bother with pints.. Daniel LOVES ice cream--Hood is about $2.99 for a half gallon. Daniel could eat a pint in one sitting EASY!! LOL

    ReplyDelete